Finding an alternative, cost-effective and sustainable energy source is uppermost in the minds of most businesses. Government-funded Renewable Heat Incentives (RHI) means it has never been a better time to explore renewable energy solutions.
Eldapoint has worked on several projects with AFS Biomass, based in Altrincham, Cheshire who offer an end-to-end solution for renewables and green energy systems to businesses, institutions and homes.
AFS works with clients from initial design and planning, right through to installation and ongoing maintenance, offering a turnkey solution.
Providing Sustainable Energy for the Hospitality Sector
AFS received an enquiry from Hackness Grange Hotel, situated on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors. The owners were interested in finding out about the various renewable energy solutions available, plus grant and funding options.
After completing a Renewable Energy Assessment for the Hotel, AFS discussed the design and build requirements with our container conversions team. As a key supply partner, Eldapoint were able to provide the right solution, and the project was signed off by the hotel and AFS.
Bespoke design and build for biomass boiler and store solutions
Eldapoint have manufactured numerous energy storage buildings and have the experience to create bespoke housings to accommodate specialist equipment. This hotel project was no exception, as the specified boiler was unusually large due to the power necessary to heat the hotel.
Design and build specifications
- Used shipping container 40' high cube
- Steel wall partition in the centre with an aperture for conveyer belt to feed in the biomass fuel
- Half to house the boiler
- Half of the container used as a fuel store
- The boiler room fitted with a steel floor
- Fuel store lined out with 12mm plywood
A steel fabricated hump was built onto the roof to accommodate the boiler size 900mm x 6000 x 2200, achieved by cutting the roof section and welding in place above where the boiler would sit. The exterior was lined out with tantalised timber batons to help take away the industrial steel look and help blend into the surroundings of the hotel.
Why Biomass Energy
In the context of heating, "Biomass" is the organic material used as fuel. Current multi-fuel biomass boilers supplied by AFS are up to 96% efficient and can burn wood logs, wood pellets, wood chips, cereals and miscanthus (grasses).
- Biomass is sustainable, renewable, virtually carbon neutral, and offers CO2 savings of up to 96%, compared to heating oil.
- Wood pellets are 25-30% cheaper than heating oil, and wood chip is 40-50% cheaper.
- Buying biomass fuel locally reduces the environmental impact of transport, helps your local economy, provides regional business opportunities and rural jobs.
- Biomass offers an excellent return on investment, especially if replacing electricity, heating oil or LPG.
What is the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)
At the end of November 2011, the Government launched the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) to encourage businesses to convert their heating systems from fossil fuels to biomass. The scheme operated by Ofgem and rewards the owners of biomass heating systems for all of the heat and hot water generated. The tariff is linked to the Retail Price Index (RPI) and is payable for 20 years from the date of accreditation by Ofgem.
The Renewable Heat Incentive offers a guaranteed income for all of the heat and hot water generated by the biomass heating system.
Visit the AFS Biomass website for more information on renewable energy.